Sunday, February 13, 2011

blog 3 Christiansen unlearning the myths that bind us

Quotes






Quotes


"They win because of their beauty and their fashionable attire. Both of these tales leave young women with two myths: Happinness means getting a man, and transformation from wretched conditions can be achieved through consumption- in their case, through new clothes and a new hairstyle." Pg 133

This quote stood out the most to me in this article. Disney princesses like Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, and Cinderella, all the women want to do is find a way to a man's heart. They act like powerless beauties that doll themselves up to look good for the proper suitor. When children watch these cartoons, and movies they get the impression that the article talks about. They are looking good to get their way and to be with a man. I have seen how it can effect a child just recently, my neice and I was watching The Little Mermaid and she asked me if I knew why Ariel wanted to be a real girl. I told her no and asked her what she thought. She said " she has to get her man, so she needs legs so she can chase after him". I was speechless hearing that from her because she is only 4 years old. As a little girl watching a movie, those are the things that she noticed as the main plot to the story. These princesses are shown in movies doing everything that it takes to be with the prince or "her man". And once they fine their true love that will make everything become happily ever after.



"They cant escape, and now they've started analyzing cartoons, they cant stop analyzing the rest of the world. And sometimes they want to stop. Once a student asked me, "dont you ever get tired of analyzing everything!" Pg 134


When reading this artice, and doing activities like SCWAAMP it makes you wonder, how many other things am i missing? Thinking about these things can give you an entire different outlook on all media. I was reading a magazine the other day and noticed an article about rap artist nikki minaj. The article was from several months ago before her fame really had gotten started. The picture was really simple, she was wearing a black camisol shirt and short shorts. I ran to my laptop and searched her on google. New pictures that are on the internet, people consider her outfits and hairstyles ridiculous came up first in the search engine. Looking at the two pictures i analyzed how much money, credibility, and fame could do to a person. NIkki had looked like a totally different person. Another time I had watched Spongebob Squarepants and was watching the episode when Spongebob and Patrick adopted a baby clam. It made me think was Patrick and Spongebob a homosexual "couple" ? Later in the episode it shows Spongebob acting as the loving mother, taking care of home and the baby clam at all times while Patrick went to work. After several days of going through the same routine you see a very exhausted Spongebob with rollers in his hair, bags under his eyes, an apron on pattin gthe baby's back, ironing, vaccuuming and cooking at the same time. This scene made think was spongebob moment trying to depict a visual of how housewives that never get a day off spend their days? All of those things are thought about because I find myself trying to analyze things that I see in the media.


"Indians in Loony Toons are depicted as inferior beings..... We begin to imagine Indians as savages with bows and arrows with long black braids." Pg 131

As horrible as this quote sounds it has been depected as true on TV. When you watch a cartoon it shows anyone who was not white as someone inferior. Whether it was as a servant or an assistant there werent many leading roles for any minorities. But the discrimination of Native Americans did not begin there. In history books there are paintings and drawings of Native Americans looking as the bad guys during the 16000's and the exploration of the Spanish and English to what is now the United States. They are seen with hatchets in their hands and weapons while the "defenseless" English men tried to escape their wrath.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with everything you said, but really like your last paragraph. In western civ, we were taught that how the greeks conquered nations by telling them they were the chosen superior group. I feel like that continued through history, right through to the oppression of Native Americans, and continues even today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jasmine, I enjoyed reading your post on Christensen, I liked how you used a real example from your life to support your claim. I have two nieces and through them i can always see what I had missed as a child! It is amazing how they take things. Little do they know its a lot different in reality. I liked how you used an episode as sponge bob as an example as well. My 12 year old niece loves spongebob and she is probably getting those same messages from watching it.

    ReplyDelete